I live in Lynchburg, Virginia. Today is the day citizens of Lynchburg are to vote for their preferred candidates running for city council. I work at LU. Liberty University is a Christian university. It holds convocation as a Catholic school would hold chapel. (Just a bit of background) The Chancellor of the university has been continually arguing with city officials over the years in regards to whether or not the students have the right to vote in these local elections. You see, we have some 10,000+ students ON campus each semester. So you can imagine in a smaller city how these students from around the world, not just around the nation, could sway a vote. I do not agree with students who are from another state or country (legal citizens or not), who do not reside in this city year 'round, voting in local elections. BUT I do agree with those who live here (especially if you're here for 4+ years working and such) having the right to vote. Now another issue I have is the people who don't follow the candidates or their values, voting as if it's a 'don't-look-pull-a-piece-of-candy-out-of-the-bag-and-be-surprised' type of deal. That's just wrong. If you don't care, then simply don't vote. That is how America has continually slipped into the corrupt government, not listening to the people, all about money, etc... It's the people who follow the majority, not thinking for themselves who have gotten us to where we are today, thanks. That's a whole different topic though. I don't agree with some of the Chancellors tactics or possibly even a hidden agenda. I don't agree with the strict following of a specific party regardless of the individual's moral standards or character. ANYWAY today we had a mandatory convocation, staff and students, the Chancellor wanted to stress how important it is to vote yada yada yada. There were students standing outside of the building handing out flyers with an article Democrat John E. Lawrence (chairman of the Lynchburg Democratic Party) had written and was published in the newspaper. I don't agree with the handing out flyers trying to sway my vote either- it's not, in my opinion, 'Christ-like'. I read the article and this arrogant man swayed me away from wanting to vote anything remotely democrat. How pathetic is that? Maybe you should read what the person you appoint to represent your group has written before allowing it to be published. It was petty, and I tore apart every single 'reason' he had for people to not like Liberty University. He called both the founder and the now Chancellor bullies, and refused to provide any facts, merely rumors. As far as I'm concerned, if you can't back your argument, can't provide significant proof of your claims, not be bigoted and arrogant, then you have none of the necessary qualities a leader should have. Being spiteful gets you nowhere sir.
I will tell all who read this that I picked my candidates based on their background and leadership qualities, all that good stuff- I think that one or two, even though they claim to be of the Independent party, are actually Democrats. But they are who I believe would do well in the position they're running for.
My question is: What is the difference between propaganda and bullying?
No comments:
Post a Comment